Cameron Lelai Murray

Cameron Lelai Murray

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Go Bucks!

This will be short and sweet tonight as I am completely exhausted from the journey. I underestimated how hard it would be for me to leave. I started crying in the airport and couldn't quite seem to pull it together. Thankfully, it was security in Boston where nothing seems to rattle them. :)

The flight to Shanghai had several families going home to China for their summer vacations. It has never been uncommon for me to observe children the entire time I am on a flight or in public. This time was a bit different, though. As I was staring at these adorable kiddos I finally realized, wait a second...That's going to be me in a couple days! I am going to be the mom of an adorable Chinese child. Weird, I know, but it just was hitting home.

I'd love to say that my traveling went off without a hitch, but that would be a lie. I am just hoping that gives me a free pass for the journey home since I will be bringing back a 2 year old who doesn't understand English and trying to find ways to entertain him for oh, I don't know 25 hours??!! We have several domestic flights in China too, so start praying now!

I arrived in Xi'an many, many hours later than expected. It was reminding me of the trip that Grace and I took for Cynthia's wedding, arrival late into Xi'an. Major difference though-prices are out of sight! Oye vey! Many more English speakers too. I was exhausted and ready to fall into bed. However, the firetrucks and police cars (I stopped counting after 30 firetrucks) in front of my hotel were a little distracting. That and the fire and smoke from the biggest fire I have ever seen in real life. I will be downloading pictures hopefully. The hotel was FILLED with smoke. Like unbelievably so. China is also filled with smog. Not to mention the HEAT and HUMIDITY. It's pretty darn miserable and I felt reaffirmed in our family decision of the girls staying home with Geoff and me traveling alone.

I will be meeting our sweet boy tomorrow! Thanks for all your love, encouragement and prayers. I am a bit nervous for what is awaiting for us. As for the Buckeye reference...I meet them everywhere, even in China! The person I sat next to on the plane from Shanghai to Xi'an is getting her Masters at Ohio State this year. She is going home for the summer. It was fun to talk about the Buckeyes with someone who speaks very little English. She could say "Go Bucks!' though :).

5 comments:

  1. It is hot and miserable in Xi'an this time of year...last summer at this time we were just getting ready to travel... I'm sure the 5th Floor Civil Affairs Office will be a steambath...but it will be all worth it! I'm praying Cameron does well with the transition, and that you are able to get some sleep tonight. What hotel are you in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. so glad you made it there okay sweetie! you're in our thoughts and prayers. very excited for tomorrow!!
    go team murray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping it all goes well tomorrow! Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you!!!! What a special day for you!!!

    ReplyDelete